Saturday, April 21, 2007

 

Spring XC Classic 2007

My official stance on the 2007 Spring XC Classic was that I had fun. I didn't look for a PR -- I just ran to appreciate what the sport has to offer.

Or whatever.

Either way, in your face, Phil!

And I actually did kinda have fun at it until I saw the results this morning.

Waking up at 5:30 yesterday, I could hear the rain coming down. I had a very outdoorsy day planned and rain could definitely put a.....wait for it....damper on my plans. About 7 I texted J, who was working the race, to ask if it was still on. He replied that it was and almost immediately I could hear the rain stopping.

I drove down to the course in time to catch the start of the womens race. The course did look a lot less threatening this year as the rain appeared to pack the areas that were normally full of soft sand. I asked J about this but he explained that there would be 'a lot of fucking heel-strikers' in the first race who would surely break up the packed areas. With that in mind,I warmed up and headed to the line. The usual faces filled the start and I decided that I would go ahead and just try to go out in about 5:50 then move around from there.

Before the start, Levario pointed out that next to 'sex' on my bib, Dan had written, "M-ish". I thought it was pretty funny and that sort of put the whole day into perspective. It was all supposed to be about having fun. You know, getting some cocktails. starting a fire in someone's kitchen. So Dan yelled "Go!" (It is Tucson's budget XC race) and everyone was off. For being a course that's won in high 16's some years, I thought the lead guys were taking it out pretty hard and I wanted to no part in that. Hanging back, I ended up running the first mile with Levario. We came through the first mile in about 5:44. I felt pretty relaxed still but realized that we were pretty much alone for quite a ways.

We started to move up and picking off the straglers who had fallen off the lead pack, only managed a 6:00 for the second mile. This honestly surprised me as I thought I was keeping a pretty constant effort. I think it may have been the rolling stuff at the start of the second mile that really slowed me down. It was just past the second mile marker -- and the next time up the hill -- that I was passed by two dudes. I tried to hang on with them but pretty much realized that they had been chilling behind me for the last couple K and had let me do the work with just this situation in mind.

Anyways, through the third mile I found myself amongst some kid and some old guy. By the hair, I recognized the old dude as the character who had sat on Paula Morrison's shoulder at the Sun Run and outkicked her (thus beating me handily). The kid -- just some like 18 year old. I don't remember much about the third mile except that I got sweat in my eye and it burnt like hell. I couldn't believe it. I also remember trying to move early so that old guy wouldn't be able to throw down on me in he last 60m. It worked on him but not on the kid as he left my kickless ass in the dust. I finished in 19:04, good for 10th and 11 seconds better than last year -- but I was still pretty disappointed as I thought I should have been able to run under 19 there. I guess it's just a reminder that I have a lot of work to do -- especially on the strength side of the house as , come about mile 2, I was really not enjoying being out there.

I did a short cooldown with Shane -- this year's champion -- and, unable to stay for Tecate and other social funness, headed home to work on the fence until 6 last night. It was a pretty full day and I'm finding myself pretty sore tonight. Fortunately I'm doing alright on miles so I'll do my run this afternoon.

I don't really have any pictures from the race. Sorry.


Hall, 2:08:24 -- Having attained perfect test scores and an excess budget, schools now focusing on decor -- Race Results

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?