Friday, April 20, 2007

 

Time to Respond


Great attitude Mike. It's those courses that are so tough that you don't fret about hitting a PR that you re-discover why you enjoy this sport. Folks that will only run on pancake flat / fast coursed just don't know what they're missing.

You'll do great this weekend. Can't wait for the race report.
-"Punxsutaney" Phil commenting on Mike's blog about Saturday's Spring XC Classic.

It does seems pretty harmless, no? Of course. And Phil is one of my favorite commenters on Running With Lydiard. But this was an obvious call out in my direction. I mean, an hour after I commented that I hated this course (possibly even more than I hate oatmeal) he chimed in with his two cents. And his two cents, if you can't read between the lines, were that I'm a complainer.

While he couldn't be more right, I stand firm that I don't like old people calling me out. It's the principle of it all. You give these people an inch, they'll take a mile. No sir -- not this time.

Tomorrow, I run for spite.

Take that, I Run for Hope (If she ever comments I'll have to bust out my rant about how I don't take lip from no womens)!

Actually, Phil's comments may be a blessing in disguise. As I've mentioned before, my races have been very non-competitive recently. Where has the fire been? I'll tell you where -- misguided. Now, finally, I have a reason to perform! I shall run for spite in order to run for fun in order to show Phil what's up!

Why? Cuz that's how I roll!

Now, after last year's meltdown at this race (the knee injury was well in place at this point), I'm no doubt looking to top my 19:++ performance. But more than that, I'm looking to have fun. Maybe I'll go out off-pace and see if I can't pick some people off. That's fun. Maybe I'll wear just a pair of BOA shots and no shirt -- guys like that always seem to be enjoying their race experiences. Perhaps just running with a smile is key.

And if all else fails, I'll just get hammered at the beer garden afterwards.

Just kidding. I have to head right home after the race and to start working on the fence we're putting up next to the patio. Hmmm....now I'm thinking I should go ahead and shoot for a long (and fun) cool down and make tomorrow my long day as I will likely be spent on Sunday morning.

We'll see.

Phil's Running in the Sun Blog -- Last Year's Results -- Spring XC Classic





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?