Monday, April 09, 2007

 

4/4

Your blues ain't like my blues.
And why should they be?
-Tunde Adebimpe

I ran 20 minutes this morning [ed. note--this was started on April 4th], and frankly, that is big news in my life right now--downright anomolous. Note that the title of my post has changed from my typical "W/E" format to only include a single day. I wasn't planning on this run, but sometimes I am gifted with an adamant corporeal resistance to sleep. I can honestly say that one of the changes brought thus far by 2007 is that I've been able to receive this less as a pain in the ass and more as a blessing. As I started my run I was pleasantly surprised to see Dragon Lucas and "Ranger Pride" Shane running on 10th St. past the stylish muted brown brick condos. Past that, I felt good. It felt good. After I came back from my Texas trip and a considerable break from running, my first run was on the hilly part of Speedway west of Silverbell. This basically tore my calves in half. I could still feel traces of it today, but this was the first run since where I haven't as thought I was running on styrofoam peg legs. Good shit.

Now, when it comes to elaborating high-spirited training plans and then making them look like anything more substantial than the penis-envy chest pounding of a born loser, I definitely have what you might call a checkered past. But. BUT! Given that I have already coughed up the entry fee for Mud Run 2007, and given that a DNF seems for some reason less acceptable in that event than in any other, I am using this post to unfurl what I've decided to call The Uplift Mofo Mud Run Training Plan. It's basically a three-pronged, three day-a-week approach that I've integrated into the rest of my schedule as follows:
Monday mornings: steady runs starting at 20 minutes and working up to 50 by the beginning of June.
Thursday evenings: runs on Speedway going west from El Rio starting at 20 minutes.
Saturday mornings: Mud Run-specific workout of either hills or running in the sand.

I only announce this so publicly because I want anyone reading this to understand that if you see me, it is your duty as my friend, acquaintance, associate or reader to check up on my progress and be prepared to use unsparing language if it appears that I'm getting flaky. If you live with me and find me not getting up to get it done on a Monday or Saturday morning, some shaving cream on the hand and a feather to the nose would be appropriate. I no longer give a rat's ass about my once-fancied 14 minute 5K dreams, but this Mud Run thing stirs a much more sensitive existential resource.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?