Thursday, March 01, 2007

 

My Sweet Fracture

Presumably, Jason Colavito could not make it an entire year without injuring himself to the point he is unable to run.

Like past years, I have once again gone down with an injury and this time to the tune of a stress fractured fibula. What is weird about this injury stress fracture is that the pain came on suddenly unlike most stress related injuries where a gradual increase in pain is expected.

Looking at the week before my injury, it is no real surprise I succumbed to a stress fracture. The week consisted of about 87 or so miles in 6 days of running with three workouts: 6x400 all under or at 60; a 6 mile tempo run at 5:17ish pace; and a workout on the track consisting of a 2K, 1200, 2x800, 2x400. I think this was my best week of training ever, and, after finishing my workout on Saturday, I knew I was ready to run a sub 8:20 3K.

When Monday rolled around, I knew something was up with the outside of my lower leg but I decided it was merely a muscle/tendon thing that could be improved with ice and foam rolling. After dealing with the slight pain/tenderness of the injury all week, I knew I could handle a race but would probably need to take a few days off afterwards.

So, I raced on Saturday, managed to PR and then struggled through a 15 minute cool down jog. At this point, my leg was in incredible pain and I knew something was seriously wrong with it.

After no activity Monday and a doctor's appointment on Tuesday, I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in the Fibula and was told not to run on it for 2 weeks. Now, I am confined to the muggy confounds of the weight room to cross train.

For the next two weeks, my training will consist of 40 minutes on the bike every morning and then another 20 minutes of the bike in the PM plus an hour on the underwater treadmill. I know this volume will help maintain my fitness to a point but cross training is just unbearable.

Anyways, I hope to report back in 2 weeks with positive news about my leg.

Until then...Bear Down.

Comments:
I see Li has you doing the ol' 75 x driving over your leg with a big rig workout.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?