Sunday, February 04, 2007

 

Just bought a Cadillac....

Yesterday concluded my highest volume week in recent memory and, more than likely, my highest mileage ever. The total mileage was 114 miles in seven days and six of which were two-a-days. During my last run yesterday evening, I was extremely surprised how fresh I felt considering I had already run about 110 miles and had completed a 15 miler run at about 6:00 pace a mere five hours before. I think this speaks "volumes" to the value of a high volume program as, in my opinion, the best way to gain strength is to put in the mileage.

Granted, I do not take a super technical approach to my training but I am sure I worked all levels of muscle fibers this week specifically on Monday and Wednesday (our two workout days).

On Monday, the higher mileage guys (me included) hit the riverpath for a 12 mile run at, per Coach's instruction, "sub 6:00 pace". Usually, during these runs, we manage to ease into a comfortable 6:00 pace meaning the first few miles are at 7:00-6:45. Monday was different. We hit the first mile in 6:03 and just dropped it from there. On the way out, we hit six miles in 35:07 and then finished 12 in 1:08:50 with the last five miles at about 5:35 pace or so. This is by far the easiest 12 mile run I have completed on that course and is more than likely a PR at that distance.

On Wednesday, fueled by two of Kiera's chocolate chip cookies, we hit the track for 12x400 with a 100 meter jog recovery (about 35-40 seconds). The first 3 were at 70. The next 7 were at 68. Number 11 was 66 and the final interval was 62 which felt incredibly easy. Overall, the workout was cake as my heart rate would plummet during the jog recoveries which is an excellent indicator of fitness.

What does all this training mean for my racing? Well, in the short run, my preparation for indoor has been devoid of intervals conducive to "fast" running. However, I seem to respond to straight up mileage/threshold work better than true intervals so I think I am ready to roll. In addition, the strange thing about the indoor season is that you sometimes just pop out fast races. This sentiment is seemingly shared by the world's best. In fact, during the post Wanamaker Mile interview with Mottram and Kip (Bernard Lagat), Mottram discussed his training and indicated that he has not really done anything specific for the track yet which, in his opinion, did not affect his race. Also, Coach has indicated that Kip's training has been on the light side and he still managed to run 3:54. I hope the same rings true for me in Seattle next weekend.

Comments:
Just so you know, the Chicago style hot dogs at Shorty's on 2nd Ave. are totally worth breaking your vegetarianism for. And they have pinball.

Also, throw some Ds on it.
 
And pick up some Sexpresso

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article2237661.ece
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?