Monday, February 26, 2007

 

All Right, Quit with the Guilt Blax

Yes, I am a bad, bad Dragon. Between work, child-rearing and the other blog, my contributions over here have been quite slim. Here's what I've been up to-

This is the spring of speed for me. I've bagged any attempt at a late-spring marathon to instead focus on building up my cruising and racing speed through the early races on the SAR calendar. I'm telling you right now, I've blown the Grand Prix. I'm also going to tell you that sometimes Dragon Lucas will win the Grand Prix. Dark Horse? Hardly. Lucas will consistently finish in the top four for SAR members, and he isn't being distracted by a marathon like Dan, Shane and myself. The only question that remains is what will he do with the grand prize?

So me and racing, where to start? I crapped out somewhere around mile 4 of the Sun Run, but my own "son" made it to the webpage with his stellar performance during the kids' race. Who else falls down twice and keeps going? Not me. Next was the YMCA Lighthouse 5K, which Blax described enough two posts down. I was ecstatic to win this, and all it took was making Shane's car inoperable so he couldn't make it to the race that morning.

Something about coming off a victory, or the fact that the Lighthouse race boosted my fitness made me feel absolutely great last week, and I honestly could not wait to do the Dave's Run 5K the following Sunday (yesterday). My daily runs seemed to find me running faster with less effort, and a short set of 800's on Wednesday showed me that I was due for a good one. When Greg Wenneborg started asking at the start line what people were going to run I told him I would do 15:58, even though I've never gone under 16:07 for the distance. I just knew it was going to be a good day. Things ended up going my way and I beat my prediction by two seconds on what seems to be a short course. I'll take it though, and coming in third within sight of Greg made me feel that maybe focusing on speed for awhile was a good decision.

I'm still trying to figure out the next step, hopefully I can keep it together over the next few months of training. The grand plan involves going into marathon base training around the time of the Tucson 5000, and hopefully carrying any speed I've gained with me when the mileage starts again.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?