Friday, January 05, 2007

 

Put Your Stunna Shades On

I have always been an advocate of high mileage and truly believe the only way to develop as a distance runner is to get out there and run over 80 miles a week. However, I often neglect the fact that a build up to high mileage is not as easy as it appears on paper. In fact, I always fail to take into account how your body will react to a calculated increase of mileage.

For the most part, I adapt to mileage quite well and can handle 80 mile weeks with ease. Although, it seems that I always notice the effects of higher mileage right around the third week, and, as I expected, I became extremely wore out at the beginning of this week. Granted, my well being may have been affected by New Years Eve where I missed 3EB and Jumper but drank my fair share of beer.

Anyways, after three 13 mile plus days behind me, I not so eagerly anticipated the tempo run I had on my schedule for the evening especially after the 4 mile jog I completed in the morning. At work, I had some anxiety about the looming workout and almost pulled the plug on any type of run but once six o'clock rolled around, I knew I was at least going to run.

My run began at McKale and headed to Reid Park where I planned to do at least 4 miles of comfortable tempo on the bike path. As soon as I got to the "start line" of the path I actually felt ready to roll and just let myself glide along the path. I hit my first mile in 5:26 and then mile two in 5:26, mile 3 in 5:27 and then completed my run off of the bike path where 400 meter marks are non existent so I had no idea of the pace I was running. When I got home, I gmap'ed my run and discovered I ran 4.7 miles in 25:37 good for a cumulative pace of 5:27.

Once I was done, I was quite surprised as I felt awesome. I really held back the pace and concentrated on staying relaxed. In fact, when I ended the run, I recovered in about 30 seconds which is quite encouraging and indicative of higher volume training.

The plan for the rest of the week is to hit 80 miles in 6 days which means a long run from Mike's on Sunday and two recovery runs on Saturday.

Have a good weekend.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?