Monday, December 11, 2006

 

T-Moc

So Blogger has gone to some Beta version and it requires we log in with our Gmail addresses. Not a big deal -- unless you hate Gmail -- which Train does. Well, he'd probably say hate is the wrong word -- but when your devotion to Hotmail is so extreme that you don't even want to consider the highly dominant Gmail...well, I'd say you either hate one or love the other.

Rather, are in love with the other.

His last post he said he would not be writing again until he knocked out a 40 minute run. If it were not for this little Gmail hurdle, Train would probably be posting today. You see, Rudy, this morning I was witness to Train's 40 minute feat. Down to Reid Park, around a bit, and back to the 821 -- I held on until about the last half mile.

While my being dropped by Train on his longest run of 2006 was at least partially due to the endorphins that were, no doubt, kicking in on his 'Runners High' -- I'd have attribute most of my general draggyness to yesterday's route. Now listen, Theo, yesterday while others were up in Oro Valley shooting for marathon and half-marathon PRs en route to final place jockeying for the Grand Prix, I was headed out my door to discover a new route.

Tumamoc hill (a common obstacle to hear about in Train's training log) was the destination for my Sunday long run. I've been eager to get back to training in the hills so heading West from my downtown-adjacent abode made the most sense. I had thought about running up through Star Pass and back down St Mary's -- but it just didn't seem like enough for how I was feeling. Instead, I thought this was prime time to see what this Tumamoc is all about.

Now, I had heard that this run was no fucking joke...but I'll tell ya, this thing is no fucking joke. By the time I was approaching the top, I was drenched with sweat as my legs were just plodding, completely unable to go faster or slower for fear of intense pain. The one good thing I can say about this hill is that it's wide enough that you can always pass the groups of four chicks in spandex pants or 2 fat dudes in sleeveless tees, walking up the road.

Gaining about 730 feet in a mile and half, Tumamoc isn't the V (which gains 2000 feet in just under 2.5 miles) -- but it ain't no tempo route like ODC. And while the steepness is a beast on the trek up, it's especially noticable on the road down when you are trying to throw on the brakes on some of the steepest sections. According to my watch, this is an obstacle that takes about 14 minutes to get up -- but only about 11 to get down.

By the time I was reaching the house, I was feeling it in my legs. This morning, upon waking up, I did not want to run. However, I made it out for Train's run. There would be no afternoon follow-up.

I'm still pretty sore this evening. Since I leave in a couple days I think I will just go ahead and take tomorrow pretty chill -- maybe throw in some strides or something like that -- and then prep for one more hard session before leaving for Vegas. Still, the aim for the week will be Wednesday's Running Shop Group Run with post-run Dragons Gift-Card Spending Ceremony.


Watch the Camera atop Tumamoc -- Tucson Marathon Results -- Winterhaven Run This Sunday





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?