Saturday, December 30, 2006

 

Afterglow


The work week has ended successfully and put me back on pace to run an acceptible mileage for the week. Between rock'n'roll shows at Plush, UA basketball games at Mchale, and a midterm on Friday, I was pleased at my ability to maintain focus here late in the week. Still though, it ain't over -- and besides, there is another just around the corner.

I've noted before that I am a stellar Monday through Wednesday runner. I've tried other days, but I really feel most comfortable with Monday being day 1 of my week. Obviously one thing allowing me to stay on course is not having an abundance of classwork to worry about. Still, I am pleased to be salvaging what looked like a pretty dismal week as of Tuesday evening. This week, after Wednesdays road session, I was ready to tend to some of my aches and pains. Nothing big -- but nothing I was going to attempt to drive right through.

Thursday was a real butthole of a weather day and I waited until the afternoon in hopes of some sort of improvement in conditions. They were so nasty in the morning that, even if the Bush administration had brought a tornado down that afternoon, I think things still would have been better than the sleet and shit I would have had to take on at daybreak. I called Petie to see if he cared to join me for 50 on the Rillito but he was watching Spiderman 2. Running alone, it was nice to have complete control over the pace. On out and back runs for time, I usually try to hit it a little hard on the way out to make sure I cover sufficient ground. With a solid 25 out, I decided to keep a solid pace for another 15 minutes on the way back. The legs held up surprisingly well (given that the mud was a bit slippery and I had done 10 on the roads the night before) so I dropped it down a little more when I closed the run. Breathing hard at the end of this 'recovery effort' I declared right then that I would have to relax on Friday's run.

Yesterday Omni, Train, and myself headed out in evening to grab 8 or so. It was a nice, quick, recovery and I enjoyed listening to Omni's stories about the africans he runs with. I then proceeded to watch Batman Begins and head to bed -- really feeling my legs calling for more recovery.

Today was going to be a two run day but I think I'll just do a single, easy run this afternoon at Reid. It might cost me a few overall miles but I think the legs will appreciate it as they haven't gotten a true recovery day since Tuesday. Then tomorrow will be Dragons Long Run Sunday and I will be off to Tempe for New Years festivities. Vanessa Carlton and Third Eye Blind (JUMPER!!!) will be playing at the Tostitos Mill Avenue Tempe Fiesta Bowl New Years Celebration & BCS Championship Block Party brought to you by Alltell. I'm stoked.

Have a good New Years and make sure you really have a good time celebrating with those cool new ice cubes that have all the party light in them.


2006: End of Year Post -- Drenth was wise to not fuck with Mike -- Jumper Song Facts





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?