Sunday, November 12, 2006

 

W/E 11/11: A REDEMPTIVE JOINT

This week of training, by my mangled standards, was spectacular. Enjoyable, ego-boosting, and, I delude myself, very productive.

SUNDAY: Listening to TV on the Radio's new one on the drive out to my Northeast side training base at the Walgreens and then doing a quality moonlit set of Snyder repeats was the perfect way to make myself feel manly/bohemian/romantic. Such feelings are like candy to me, and I'm really indulgent, so this is what I did Sunday. I still only did 4x30 seconds, but they were classic: good knee drive, arm drive, leaning into it, and intense right to the finish. I count this as two and a half miles.

TUESDAY: I ran a really sublime 30 minutes taking the 5th Avenue route at night. It was really enjoyable, and made for some good sweaty election returns watching. Wolf blitzed her, alright.

THURSDAY: The first vestiges of speed work came like the dawning of a new day. They also came at the dawning of a new day, which meant I could enjoy the craftiness of warming up in my warmups, then stashing them under a bush, then running back with them around my waist, and my shirt in my hand. I like the crafty aspects of running. I ran 15 minutes out, and then did three minutes at 5:40 pace, two minutes at 6:30 pace, and one minute at 7:00 pace. The idea wasn't to run those last two sections quite that slow, but that's what happened. I was going to go with more of a traditional fartlek, but then this idea hit me, and I thought it was ingenius. If you disagree, I will not be your friend.

SATURDAY: Saturday night my liver and an agave plant lined up for what would be a stirring race. It was a gutty affair, but the liv eventually came out on top--nice try Yaquis. The only injury was maybe a slight dignity bruise that has already been shaken off. It was a phone-throwing good time. The Adidas Rotterdam is an excellent shoe for these races, where the footing can be slippery with attention paid to sartorial signifiers.

WEEKLY TOTALS: 11.5

Comments:
That's double digits baby!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?