Sunday, November 12, 2006

 

Save Room

I just got back from the wet, muddy, rainy, overcast, not sunny environs of Portland, Oregon. Needless to say, I was not impressed with the weather conditions of the region and the overly excessive amount of mud found on the West Region cross country course.

You see, I am used to running cross country on golf courses that are dry with a few west spots and not 10 kilometers of deep, slippery mud. Plus, I am used to running cross country wearing my trusty pair of Nike Vents with a not so aggressive spike plate with spikes that are the perfect length for such terrain I am used to running on.

Anyways, yesterday, I decided that it would be best to wear the trusty Ventulus again neglecting the fact that the mud just may be super deep and slippery and my Kennedy XC's, with much, much longer spikes would be more practical. I immediately regretted my decision 200 meters into the race as I was already slipping.

Basically, the whole race I was struggling to maintain a pace due to the fact with every step I had no traction. I made it through the first lap OK but then hit the deck on the second lap. For the rest of the race, I was just concentrating on not falling. It got so bad that on the final 200 meters I was unable to kick as I knew that I would just slip and fall. It was the most frustrating race I have ever done.

Although, looking on the bright side of things, I was sick coming into the race and had to drop out of two workouts the preceding week due to shortness of breath. Now, I feel confident about running another 10k if we make it to Nationals (we finished 5th in the most competitive region in the country).

Anyways, this next week should be a solid taper with a few quick workouts and a few moderate paced training runs. I think it should be the perfect recipe for a rested team ready to compete in Terre Haute come next Monday.

Oh, I ran a slow 33:02 for the 10K and was not happy with my place or time at all.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?