Wednesday, November 22, 2006

 

If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

I usually write race recaps on this thing but, needless to say, my performance at Nationals does not require too much explanation. I guess I am just burnt out or something because, after Pac 10's, I was sick often and quality training was sporadic contributing to my poor race performances at Regionals and Nationals. Although, at Nationals, I straight up wasn't ready for the mud on the course.

Looking at our performance as a team, it appeared that we collectively needed to do more strength training (i.e. longer intervals on the golf course and more long runs). The volume was there for the most part as I averaged right around 70 miles for the season but must of that mileage was achieved through two-a-days which, in my opinion, are absolutely necessary for success as a distance runner but should not be an aid to boost your mileage. Many coaches and athletes are proponents of a 12 mile day consisting of 6 and 6 or 8 and 4 but I believe it should be something like 10-12 and 4 in the afternoon. In this respect, I think we missed out on a lot of aerobic opportunities which may have been key for the 10k's at the end of the season.

Anyways, despite the minimal low moments in the season, I am quite happy how I personally did throughout the long cross season. Coach Ryan told me after the race that he was worried that I was going to be out for the season after the Dave Murray Invite (the second race of the season) as I couldn't even walk after the race and could hardly run the day after.

"This shit is tenuous, sometimes" he told me.

I can only agree.

I really have no idea how I went from being unable to put pressure on my right foot to running 24:48. I guess ibuprofen really is a miracle drug. Also, I slipped Spenco Arch Cushion insoles in the Marathoners and taped my foot every run which may have also helped. Looking back, though, I think I was just determined to finish the season and really didn't give a shit that I could barely walk as I could run with a great real of pain and that is all that mattered. The strategy paid off as I am healthy once again and can walk and run pain free. Also, despite the setback, I managed to PR every 8K I ran this season. Here is the progression:

George Kyte Invitational, Flagstaff, AZ: 26:31 (previous course PR: 27:15)
Roy Griak Invitational, Minneapolis, MN: 26:30
ASU Invitational, Tempe, AZ: 25:27 (previous course PR: 26:40)
Pre-Nationals, Terre Haute, IN: 25:19
Pac 10 Championships, Palo Alto, CA: 24:48

My breakthrough came at both the ASU Invite and Pac 10's where I didn't let up once the whole race and felt confident the whole time.

Hopefully, I can exhume some of the magic I found up in Tempe and Palo Alto for the Trot. The Dragons will really need to execute to take down Dragon Slayers.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Comments:
I like your shoes in that picture. Are those North Face? I hear North Face makes great running shoes.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?