Sunday, October 08, 2006

 

Nose Over Tail

Over the past 4 years, I have always made it out to Kiwanis Park in Tempe to run an 8K cross country race. Needless to say, I am not a fan of the course based on my past (horrible) performances in Tempe.

My freshman year, in the midst of a comeback from a stress fracture, I ran an unimpressive 27:40 or so. I remember it being a straight up suffer fest which is never fun on a hot, somewhat difficult course.

The next year, as an Aztec, I ran the ACCAC Championship race finishing in 11th place and running 26:40. I remember this race distinctly and it was just upsetting. I went backwards the whole time and ran horribly.

Last year, the ASU Invitational was my first race with a U of A jersey and I again had a loathesome race. This time around, I struggled to a 26:55. I think this was one of my worst races ever based on how I just couldn't turn over the legs or respond to anything at all.

Yesterday morning, after a quick drive to Tempe, I approached the race in a much different manner. I just wanted to stay relaxed, have fun (as lame as that sounds), and run hard the last 2k of the race. So, after a very easy first mile in 5:07, I knew I was well on my way. For most of the race, I ran with my teammate and roommate, Dylan, until about 5.5K where he started to pull away. For some reason, the middle of my races have been absolutely horrenduous. I am pretty sure that between 6K and 7K I was running 3:25 pace (for the K) which is not good.

So, after being a pussy, I decided to try and lay down the hammer the last K and catch Dylan and the small group he was running with. With the help of Fasil Bizuneh (who came by me with 600 to go), I started reeling in that group while running stride for stride with the former ASU All American. With 200 to go, I opened it up and kicked past Dylan and about 3 other guys to finish in 25:27 (5:07 pace).



After the race, I was pretty happy about my performance but pretty estactic that I didn't get intimidated by the semi difficult Kiwanis Park course. I now feel ready to roll next weekend in Indiana as we run Pre Nats up in Terre Haute.

Have a great weekend.

Comments:
I think you're on the right track. I don't know if NCAA pre-nats is anything like NJCAA nationals....but if it is, then being able to move hard in the last 600m will equal some important gains.
 
That guy in the "Vote for Pedro" shirt you're passing is totally checking you out. Did he ask for your digits?

Lucas told me about your race on our run this morning, congrats on a great performance and a PR for the course.

You could have come by for scones, you know.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?