Sunday, August 27, 2006

 

Its a slacker lifestyle that we do so well

Yesterday brought the second long run of the season. This time the venue was Patrick's loop out at Saguaro National Monument West. Because it takes forever to get out there (a good 45 minutes), we were forced to meet at 5:15 at McKale which is never fun on a Saturday morning.

Unlike the past few times we ran Patrick's loop, the run unexpectedly began right in the middle of the loop where the main road interesects with Hohokam Road. So, to run the full 13 miles, we had to first run to Ina or its equivalent, turn around and run the loop like normal.

At first, I thought this method was going to be slightly easier. However, that initial climb you encounter when typically beginning Patrick's Loop seems much steeper and longer after you have been running somewhat hard for 24 minutes.

During the "back" portion of the run (the climb after 24 minutes), the pace really began to come down. So, I hung tight with the front group and found myself with Bob, Obed, Moses, Chris, and Eric. This position made me happy as, at that point, I was not straining too much and I was running with the top guys on the team.

After we began descending for like 4 miles, the pace was easily at 5:30 or even faster. For some reason, the downhill was just kicking my ass. I never have been a great downhill runner and was beginning to feel the pace.

To make matters worse, Moses kept me in check by telling me to run stride for stride with him or even stay in front of him--no small task during a long run at 5:30 pace.

On Friday, Kenny commented that the run kind of seemed like a stage in the Tour de France as, when we approached the end of the run in a huge pack, someone was bound to launch an attack. Yesterday, however, I personally felt like I was in a break. Like most mountain stages of the Tour de France, the mountains are what make and break you. Unfortunately for me, the extremely hilly section of the last 2 miles of the loop broke me off from the front guys and I put one foot in front of the other to finish.

Anyways...

For the ~13 miles, I ran it in 1:17.24 which is right around 6:00 pace. Overall, I felt decent until the last 4 miles and then died in the hills.

I need to do some hill work.

Sorry about the long entry.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?