Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 

I need to dry out and take some time to clear my mind.

I indeed capped off my 82 mile week with a long run this past Sunday in the presence of Lucas and Mike. When I woke up at 4:28 AM in Midtown, I stepped outside and was greeted by a steady drizzle and no means a downpour. Although, as I drove to Mike's Foothills neighborhood, the rainfall became progressively heavier. Finally, as I made my way down Sunrise past Kolb, visibility was very limited.

We started the run after 10 minutes of waiting for the rain to let up which was just not happenining. So, Mike took the initiative or at least the "fuck this" stance and began the run.

The first mile of the run took us to Sunrise Rd. where we were greeted by a river flowing over the road 200 meters to our left. Our plan was to head west on Sunrise but immediately ditched that plan after the river was deemed uncrossable by all three of us. What we didn't know was that this river was going to haunt us 16 miles later.

So, 17 miles into the run, I am in the middle of a weak attempt at a tempo run when I am stopped by not only flowing water but also a police officer. He was preventing traffic from crossing the river as to avoid enforcing the Stupid Motorist Law. I, however, am not a motorist nor stupid so I wanted to cross this body of water. The officer had none of this.

5 minutes later, Mike and Lucas roll up and I tell them the news. Instead of finding a method of escape, we all chill waiting for the officer to let us cross which according to the cop would "cost me my job".

Even when one of Mike's clients, a libertarian, who enjoys riding around on his expensive bike while carrying a handgun in the bladder of his Camelback could not cross after much discussion, we realized we had to take matters into our own hands.

So, when Mike's client returned and told us the bad news and explained how he doesn't like the government making decisions for him regarding his safety or at all, we were off to a downstream location which, according to Lucas, would allow us to cross the mighty river quite easily.

Our decision to cross the river downstream may have been foolish but at least we made it home. Granted, walking through a fast flowing stream fraught with rocks and fallen trees may not have been the best way to end a run, but, shit, it ended the run and that is all that mattered to me.

After our adventure, we all enjoyed the antics of Mike's children and some delicious chocolate chip scones baked by Kiera, Mike's wife.

Just some great way to end a morning on the road.

Dragons!

Comments:
I met the client at that Sabino Canyon run. So tight. I totally agree about the man making health decisions for me. He needs to legalize (and tax) it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?